The prize pool of The International
The first edition of the tournament was held in 2011 with a prize pool of $1,600,000. This was increased to $2,874,380 in 2013 and $40,018,195 in 2021, which means it has grown to be worth over 25 times from the initial first prize. Here is a summary of the prize pool based on each year.
- 2011: $1.6 million
- 2012: $1.6 million
- 2013: $2.8 million
- 2014: $10.9 million
- 2015: $18.4 million
- 2016: $20.7 million
- 2017: $24.7 million
- 2018: $25.8 million
- 2019: $34.3 million
- 2021: $40.0 million
As you can tell, the prize pool has been increasing steadily since 2012, meaning we can safely assume that the trend will continue.
How big event is The International?
The International is considered one of the biggest esports tournaments in the world. It draws hundreds of thousands of competitors and is watched by millions of people online.
With a prize pool having reached $45,000,000 (2022 edition), The International is clearly not a small tournament. Indeed, that prize pool is not pocket change, and no small tournament would have such a staggering amount of money to be won.
Another reason why The International is a big tournament is that it brings together 18 teams from different parts of the world. The tournament is not just about a single country or continent; it is for the world. In terms of viewership, The International attracts millions of viewers. For instance, the number of concurrent viewers of the 2021 edition went as high as 2.74 million.
About Dota 2
Dota 2 is an online multiplayer game developed by Valve Corporation, the same firm behind the popular video game series, Counter-Strike. The game uses a real-time strategy (RTS) system where players have to control a hero character and fight against other gamers or computer-controlled opponents. Unlike many eSports games with more than one player character, Dota 2 only provides one hero character for each player to use.
The game is played using two different availabilities; the Dota 2 item shop, which allows players to buy various items with in-game currency, and the Dota 2 items, which can be used to customize their hero characters.
Dota 2 is a mod of Warcraft 3 and has been popular since it came out in 2013. It keeps players on their toes. The game's goal is to destroy the enemy's base while defending your own.
Why is Dota 2 popular?
Dota 2 has a variety of features that make it enjoyable. Some of these include:
- It is easy to understand, even for those who are not very familiar with video games.
- It brings back memories of long ago at a time when video games had dragons and other creatures for players to fight against.
- Players can choose from various characters with different abilities that can be upgraded.
- The game is good in every aspect; gameplay, graphics, and animations are smooth. The heroes are handsome, and you can find new ones as soon as they come out (sometimes within days or hours following their debut). Therefore, there's always something new to play with.
Why is The International popular to bet on?
The International is undoubtedly one of the most exciting esport online tournaments in the world. It provides the opportunity for bettors to wager on their favorite team or player. But what really makes this tournament popular among punters?
1. The tournament brings together the best Dota 2 teams in the world. Each of these teams commands a massive following in terms of fans, most of which are also punters. A tournament in which the best teams compete will undoubtedly attract millions of bettors.
2. The International offers a wide range of betting markets for bettors to choose from. Some of these include:
- Team to win The International
- Player to win The International
- Winner of the group stage
- Winner of the playoffs
3. The International is also a very competitive tournament. Only the best teams in the world make it to the finals, which makes it more exciting for bettors.
4. Dota 2 Odds on The International tournament are available at all online esport betting sites, as long as the event is on. Hence, bettors don't struggle to find where to bet on this tournament.
The International's Winning teams and biggest moments
The International is one of those major esport tournaments that are very competitive; the race for the prize is stiffer than you can imagine. Since the first edition in 2011, only one team has managed to be crowned champions twice. Other winners have only been recognized once. Here are the winners and the most significant moments in the tournament's history.
This was the first team to test The International title. Its NaVi won the first edition in 2011. In this final, the team defeated EHOME 3-1 to lift the title. Featuring in this team were Puppey (Clement), a legendary Dota 2 player who has participated in the tournament more than any other individual.
Others included XBOCT, Artstyle, and Dendi. Taking home a staggering US$1 million from a $1.6 million grand prize is something the team will never forget; we won't let it go either.
And while the team has not won the title a second time, it has constantly been harassing its opponents, ensuring they have to run for their money. The fact that NaVi went all the way to the final the following year (2012) says it all.
Wrestling the title from the first edition champions was not easy, and that perhaps highlights how strong this team was at the time. During this final, Invictus Gaming defeated Natus Vincere 3-1, taking home a grand prize of US$1 million.
This was the tournament's best team in 2013. Like Invictus Gaming, Alliance was given a run for their money by none other than Natus Vincere, and they were the first European team to win the tournament. They defeated their opponents 3-1, and taking home a $1.4 million prize was spectacular. Players here included Akke, Loda, EGM, AdmiralBulldog, and s4. This third edition is what put The International on the global map in terms of popularity.
With the tournament's popularity having soared the previous year, Newbee was seeking the crown against a backdrop of a highly publicized competition. And while the tournament was hosted in Washington, an away ground did not stand in the way of Newbee. In this edition (2014), the finalists were entirely new, with Newbee on the one hand and Vici Gaming on the other.
The former would beat the latter 3-1, taking a whopping US$5,025,029 and reasserting China's dominance in the competition.
2015: Evil Geniuses
2016: Wings Gaming
2017: Team Liquid
Where and how to bet on The International?
The International is a global tournament, and thus, it is one of the best esports tournaments when it comes to betting. It doesn't matter where you're betting on esport tournaments from; you should be able to access the event as long as your country allows. To choose the best site for betting on The International or other eSport championships, here are a few things to look at:
- Odds offered by the site: The better the odds, the more you can win if you bet on the tournament.
- The site's reputation: Look at what their track record is and whether the site is licensed or not.
- Live betting: If you want to place your bets while watching the game live, this is a factor you will want to consider. Also, some sites allow you to place bets during halftime.
- Mobile compatibility: Some sites only work on a desktop or laptop, so you will want to consider this factor.
- Customer support: If you ever have any questions about the site or the betting process, the support team should be able to efficiently help.
How to bet on The International
The procedure for betting on The International is simple:
- Sign up with an esports site that offers odds on the tournament
- Log in and make a deposit
- Choose the match you want to bet on
- Choose your stake and complete the process
About the author
Ethan Williams, a lively 24-year-old lad from the UK, brilliantly fuses his passion for online casinos with top-notch English localisation, creating bespoke casino guides for Britain's keen gaming lot.